Jess On The Web:
Quick Facts on Asian Dragons
"Dragon Motif" | T.C. Chiu
1. Potent and prominent symbol of royalty and good luck.
2. Their breath is called "divine energy".
3. Believed to rule the earth.
The four rulers:
· Celestial Dragon [t'ien-lung]
· Spiritual Dragon [shen-lung]
· Earth Dragon [ti-lung ]
· Underworld Dragon [fu-ts'ang lung]
4. Traditional Oriental dragon has 117 carp scales.
5. Bones and teeth were valued for their treatment of spirit disorders.
6. An Oriental dragon takes 3000 years to become a mature, real dragon.
7. All people in ancient China, including the Emperor, prostrated themselves before the image of a dragon.
8. The main difference between Eastern dragons: Chinese dragons have five claws, Japanese dragons three, and Korean dragons four.
9. The Japanese dragon Ryu, is a descendant of a primitive three-toed variety of Chinese dragon.
10. Yong is the most powerful Korean dragon. It protects the sky.